Ok, hit me over the head with a brick!

problem solved - it wasn't a problem at all!

I'm using Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection to use my macintosh to connect
to the
windows computer that i'm using for work (this way i don't need multiple
monitors, i can
run both machines with my 24" iMac screen which is quite nice)... well it is
the RDC
software that is displaying the white cursor that i've shown in the screen shot
i posted
before.

when i go to the real windows box and open my app, the cursor is changing as
expected.

My apologies to all for getting so frustrated with Flex :)

And my thanks for all who tried to help!

At least i know the answer!

Mitch