I solved this with some help from TeotiGraphics.

In my actionscript i was doing setStyle("top", "2")

What I should have been doing was setStyle("top", 2) - without the
quotes on the number. It seems Flex 3 gets fussy about native data
types. I am assuming it was resolving the string "2" to be 0 and
getting it knickers in a twist and setting invalid (or default) values.

At least this solved my problems, maybe it will yours.

BOb