Load a proxy SWF which checks/sets a LocalSharedObject for a cookie/timestamp.
If timestamp reached, lead main app swf with getTime() string on the filename;
if not then load just the SWF filename, so the browser takes the SWF from the
cache. You can set the timestamp artificially short for debugging so that it
always takes it form the server.

I've seen this done for login proxies which autofill the user/pass fields, then
refresh them with blank ones after a certain time, or which query the server
for
whether an update to the app has been issued, which resets the timestamp/cookie.

Joseph Balderson, Flash Platform Developer | http://joeflash.ca