Interesting enough, I was able to make it work as well on another
machine.  I checked out the latest code from Subversion and copied the
code into a Flex library project then referenced the new library swc.
Everything worked as expected! I will try to use the library swc on
my other machine to see if it continues to work there.

For what it is worth, the checked-out code would not compile in AS3.
There are many places in the code with int.MAX_VALUE is used as a
default parameter in a method call.  This must have been OK with AS2
but AS3 chokes.  You will need to replace these variables with the
actual numbers.

e.g.

public function
bmpString(size:int=int.MAX_VALUE,size2:int=0):BMPStringType {
                return new BMPStringType(size, size2);
}

Thanks for your help Nick.

Jim

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Uber_Nick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> I copied your code into a project and pulled in the latest As3Crypto
> source.  Your project compiled and worked as expected.  I was unable
> to replicate the error, and would assume it's an environment issue.
>
> -Nick Matelli
>
> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Boone" <jim@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I posted this on the As3Crypto discussion list but there is very
> > little activity there.  Maybe someone in this group has encrypted
> > something using an RSA public key that they might share.
> >
> > I am trying to read a RSA public key so I can encrypt data in my
> > application. I assembled a test app just to learn how the library
> > works. Unfortunately, I didn't get very far. I get the message "I DONT
> > KNOW HOW TO HANDLE DER stuff of TYPE 1" when I try to run the
> > following code. I have downloaded the latest source from trunk but I
> > still get the error. I generated the private and public keys using
> > openssl as shown below:
> >
> > openssl genrsa -out private.pem 1024
> > openssl rsa -in private.pem -pubout -out public.pem
> >
> > Any clue what is happening here?
> >
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> > <mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
> > layout="absolute" creationComplete="init()">
> >
> >         <mx:Script>
> >                 <![CDATA[
> >                         import com.hurlant.util.Hex;
> >                         import com.hurlant.util.der.PEM;
> >                         import com.hurlant.crypto.rsa.RSAKey;
> >
> >                         private var publicKey:String = "-----BEGIN
> > PUBLIC KEY-----"+
> >
> > "MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQCq63UvOM+wA3FYLl7X5v5US1bd"+
> >
> > "BP43wScM3boptegIIIO0ghhzhtmCUv7/278Jow9xI/za0CTf8DL9pSDu8+T+RY7U"+
> >
> > "WOMaX/IK9D9tqxztDdPu29qSJFenun1O9OL+HaUYaNWSTLirHMZN67/aITtuyV6+"+
> >                         "ikAJfa9EOKAnT/CLIQIDAQAB"+
> >                         "-----END PUBLIC KEY-----";
> >
> >                         private function init():void
> >                         {
> >                                 var rsaPublicKey:RSAKey =
> > PEM.readRSAPublicKey(publicKey);
> >
> >                                 var message:ByteArray =
> > Hex.toArray("now listen to this");
> >                                 var encryptedMessage:ByteArray = new
> > ByteArray;
> >
> > rsaPublicKey.encrypt(message,encryptedMessage,message.length);

trace(Hex.fromArray(encryptedMessage));