At 03:14 AM 8/5/2005, ecellison wrote:
Jim

You make very good points as usual. The concept of internally mountable board is interesting. I did not think of that.

This is not a VGA typ HD DB-15. and I am not sure of the availability of std 15 pin cables. They were used extensively in early Ethernet connections. “Officenet”. I was just thinking simple and straight forward, either 4 female stereo jacks on the board or 1/8 mini cables octopus fashion.

I assume the '44 uses 15 pins because it has 8 audio channels to deal with (telling you right away that they're single ended <grin>).  There ARE cables available for the DB15 that are straight through. (Game ports use them, for instance).

Just that twisted pairs (as in Cat 5 or phone wire) are so appealing for a balanced signal.

Will wait for others to weigh in. I just don’t think we need all that mass, and we may be able to creep the design to make the ‘box’ better.

Eric – AA4SW

From: Jim Lux [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 12:37 AM
To: ecellison; 'Don Newberry'; FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Delta 44 Breakout Box and Balanced audio

At 08:43 PM 8/4/2005, ecellison wrote:

Don

Yea!!! Thanks for the information! I have Tony – KB9YIG awaiting a word to go ahead with 15 pin connector board kits to interface directly to the Delta 44 with 1/8 inch stereo cables or jacks. without external box etc. I have a mass of wires running all over the place with infernal ¼  inch connectors, and in the long term plans that just ain’t gonna cut it. ¼ inch is fine for guitars which don’t go on DXpeditions, but there is a limit to 1930’s audio connectors!

But those 1/8" connectors are also a pain.  Why not make a 15 pin connector and cable that solders into the SDR1000 instead of the existing stereo 1/8" connectors?

BTW, HD15s (like those on the SDR1000 aux) are widely available, but the standard VGA extension cord is not a "all pins connected" kind of cable.

Most people will probably be putting the sdr stack into a box of some sort, so having soldered in pigtails to the boards isn't a crippling defect.

1/4" phone plugs may be a 1910 era technology, but at least they're big enough that intermittent connections and weak springs aren't a problem.

If I had to choose a cheap, PC board mountable, connector, I might go for a 8pin modular (i.e. like used for networks) or a minidin, with a distinct preference for the former (hey, it's got 4 twisted pairs... what more do you need for 2 I/Q sets)

I know you are making a different point here, however, would love it if you would consent to a drawing of the components you mention. Any ideas for filtering and isolation would also be appreciated. I think many folks will go the Delta 44 / 66? Route.

For anyone who is reading, Tony is also specing out a serial port to paddle circuit board with 1/8” stereo connection for CW which I’ll produce and ‘market’.

Thanks
Eric

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075