from G3PLX:

Hello Sami. Thanks for joining the discussion - I feared I was on my own for
a while!  I hope some others will contribute too, so I don't get accused of
hogging the bandwidth (or perhaps generating too much noise!).

You said:
>If your low 8 bits are truly random with no input, that's a good
>thing! It follows that when you inject a non-random signal, it will
>stand out clearly from white noise.

Let me be simple-minded and respond:-

But if my low 8 bits are truly random and I inject an 8-bit sinewave, isn't
it then level with the noise? If I could reduce my 8 bits of added noise to,
say, 4 bits, wouldn't my sinewave then be 24dB above the noise?  I don't see
how adding that much noise can ever be a good thing to do.  I am not trying
to trap you, I really would like to understand what's going on here. This is
all new stuff to me.

I had a private email from a broadcast engineer who confirmed what I was
saying about dither noise. He said they added 0.5 bits-worth of white noise
to the analogue signal before digitisation, and subjectively that was the
best result.

But that's half a bit of dither, not 8 bits.

73
Peter