Hi James,

At this QTH the problem is definitely at the computer output and *not* at
the SDR1K itself.

I determined this by monitoring the soundcard's output with two channels of
an oscilloscope while observing the RF envelope of my transmitted signal on
a third channel.  In CW mode, the soundcard's outputs normally have a nice
90 degree phase relationship.  However, when I observed the screwy RF
envelope, this 90 degree relationship was lost, and the resultant phase
relationship between the two signals could be anything.

The erroneous phase shift was often much greater (in degrees) than one would
expect if the soundcard was one sample out-of-sync on either channel (at 96
ksps  such a slip would result in a delay shift of only 10 us - I had my
scope set to 2 ms per division, and so such a small delta would have been
imperceptible to me).

My gut feeling is that it's the software.  Otherwise, I would expect to
experience the same problem when running sideband.  But I ran an experiment
yesterday in which, while transmitting LSB, I monitored the USB side of my
signal with a seperate receiver, and I never heard a change (nor saw a
change on the other receiver's s-meter) in the level or quality of the USB
signal.  I cycled from receive to transmit at least 100 times, and all
appeared fine.

- Jeff, K6JCA