I did some googling and it appears that this is a common issue.  They have
apparently added the ability to specify which folders this process will
crawl to reduce the overhead.  This is in the 1.4.x version nightly builds
though.  I'm not sure, but I don't think a 1.3.x server will work with 1.4.x
clients.  I could be wrong though.

You can try disabling recursive icons and/or using the include/exclude paths
in the TortoiseSVN Settings (right click a file/folder -> TortoiseSVN ->
Settings).  See the attached screenshot.

Registry key to show an icon when tsvncache is running
http://www.nabble.com/Disable-TSVNCache.exe-to-minimize-disk-IO--t920019.htm

Eric Wachsmann
FlexRadio Systems