From: Jim Dunstan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:47 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Manual notch filter?

<SNIP>

Hi,

Have you tried RF phasing to reduce local MF interference?  For example you
would be receiving A3Z on your phased array or Beverage and you can be
receiving KOMO on a small loop antenna.  Combine the signals and adjust the
loop so its phase cancels KOMO on your DX antenna.  You could also use a
small whip for KOMO and use a separate combiner/phase shift circuit to do
the same thing.  MFJ used to market such a device ... designed for HF ...
however I have heard of dxers modifying it for MF.  Personally I have used
this kind of 'RF phasing' for qrm rejection with my interest in Crystal
Radio DXing.  It takes a little getting used to but it works.  I bring the
antenna into the shack into a kind of 2 stage antenna tuner (2 high Q
circuits in series)  carefully adjust both circuits to maximize the DX and
minimize the QRM.  In my experience it is easier to deal with the
interference of weak signals before detection.

Jim VE3CI