Dear FLEX-5000 customers,

Last week I posted the following status report to the reflector regarding
our FLEX-5000 production status:
http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio@flex-radio.biz/msg16535.html.

Replacement of the rejected front and rear panels has been and still is the
key pacing item in order to begin shipments of the radio.  I am pleased to
report that the rear panels were delivered to the paint shop today and the
front panels will be delivered to them tomorrow.  We expect to review first
articles of the painted and silk screened parts on Friday.  We expect to
begin receiving a flow of finished panels no later than July 18.  This
should put us on track to begin shipments by July 25th as stated in the
reflector post referenced above.

We apologize for the delay, but there will be benefits.  We have used the
time to incorporate sophisticated calibration algorithms that go beyond
those found on legacy transceivers.

Here are a few features and examples of their use:

1) The FLEX-5000 has only a single hardware adjustment in the entire radio.
There is a variable capacitor used to null the power bridge.  ALL other
controls are software adjustable.
2) The FLEX-5000 has built in test equipment so that it can completely test
and calibrate itself on the production line after the single control is
adjusted.  The only external devices required for a full calibration are a
power meter and external dummy load.  Eventually, we even expect to use the
receiver as a power meter with an external bridge.
3) We are just completing software today that will calibrate the power
bridge on all bands on every radio rather than at a single point as in most
radios.  When combined with the existing software that calibrates at 10W
intervals from 10W to 100W, we will have a very accurate front panel setting
for absolute power.  Once calibrated at the factory, it will deliver much
better than the typical 5-7% accuracy of most external power meters.
4) All of the key calibrations will be done at the factory and stored in
EEPROM inside the radio.  These are pulled into the PowerSDR database when
you power up the radio the first time.
5) Quite a number of the new calibration routines will benefit SDR-1000
owners as well through improved performance across multiple bands.

Thank you all for your patience.  We are completely focused on delivering a
top quality radio that will be fun to use.

73,
Gerald

Gerald Youngblood, K5SDR
FlexRadio Systems