-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Rob Dennison
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2007 6:19 PM
To: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: [Flexradio] 11kHz DC noise

Hi guys,

Have my SDR1k working well enough now to start tackling deeper problems.

One of the first is the 11kHz DC noise.  Quite a few of my friends have
been through the shack now.  They always ask about the 11kHz hump and are
always turned off by my Q10241 answer: "gotta live with it."  It is a
real problem in selling them on flexRadio.  They look on it as a design
defect.  So do I.

So having read and re-read Q10241 in the knowledge base I am still
dissatisfied.  Why do we have to live with it?  It is a design defect.

1.  Okay on audio transformers but why not optical isolation?  It seems
optical isolators would have much wider bandwidth.
2.  Also many of the peaks I see below the hump seem to be aliased.  This
is confusing enough that I've made it a rule not to look below the hump.
I don't want to waste air time clicking on ghosts.  Why not just start
the panadapter  spectrum display at the frequency corresponding to dc?
3.  If we have a good answer to 2, why not subtract (or otherwise
process) out the DC hump?  After all, we know what it is and where it is.
 Yeh, I know there might be a signal  big enuf to see somewhere in the
hump but tuning down band a bit will reveal it.
4.  Still solution 3 seems to be in the nature of a work around.   Why
not rethink our algorithm chain?   As flexRadio gets more successful I
can see the attack ads starting up.  Think about the next QST review...
Some competitor will solve the problem.

Looking forward to some good answers to a real detractor to the flexRadio
concept.

Rob
AB7CF