Ok Peter here we go again.....but first let me add, I always tell folks
trying to match their 20/20 voice in 0 to 3.2K bandwidth ...make a 20/20
recording of your self with the microphone your going to use ...then when
you get close ask your wife to pick out which is which.....if she gives
up...You Win...!!

It can be done....I always pass the 16-17-18-19-sugar test and the "Please
Orange Test!!!

Here we go.....

Well, one of the approaches to kill the muddiness, is a technique that has
been employed in recording/broadcasting over the years..

1.- There is a magic spot in everybody's voice that will increase clarity
and pull down the lo-mid darkness (Muddiness)  ... its different in
everybody's voice but can be found around 160 Hz .. use a narrow "Q" and an
amplitude reduction of 6-8-10 dB. Throttle around 160 till you find your own
personal spot.(mine is at 148)

2.- To increase the clarity, add 6-8-109 dB at 3730 Hz, now its not the 3720
we are concerned with ...  its the magic 2d harmonic at 1865, with a long
"Q". (You want clarity..here it is..!!)

3.- Now put a low end cut of 10 dB beginning at 65 Hz  going down and a
6-8-12 dB high end cut at 3200 Hz  going up.

4.- As a option for polish and fullness add 3-6 dB at 80 Hz with a sharp
"Q"... and throttle for the sweet spot....

You would be surprised a the number of studio voices this trick of 160 and a
3720 harmonic saved from the cutting floor....!!!!

A number of years ago the Australian commercial SSB folks were on to the
work being done stateside with the Audio Folks on 14.198 then 14.178
..information was exchanged and they went over to the Aphex Air Chain, and a
bunch of goodies from Bob Orban.....and were tickled at the results...

-Bill
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.kc4pe.com/amateurshack.htm