I agree with Cecil. When I first got my 5000A I was running it on a Pentium 4,
single core, non-hyperthreading, 2.8Ghz cpu with 1.5GB of memory in an older HP
Vectra desktop.
It ran beautifully, rarely getting over 15% usage, but I didn't have any other
stuff running in the background. As soon as I opened Firefox and started
surfing or checking my email, or playing a CD, the usage would go up to where
my primary application (PowerSDR) would suffer.
If all you have is an older machine, go ahead and tweak it up and use it, but
just don't expect it to run everything at once.
Jim  KQ6EA