> I think we hold our nose and realize we are going to be
> interoperable with P25 services of first responders

Unfortunately, D-Star is not compatible or interoperable with P25.

The AMBE codec that is used for D-Star (almost always the AMBE-2020)
will not decode P25 IMBE encoded transmissions.

Sadly, I confirmed this (a) directly with DVSI, (b) by experiments done
by a colleague who spent time with one of the "plug-in" D-Star decoders
for the specific purpose of attempting P25 interoperability.

It might be possible to have a codec plug in board that did both AMBE
and IMBE, but the chip that's used in the inexpensive commodity AMBE
decoder for D-Star does not do this.  I do know that DVSI has a
board-level product that will do P25 decoding, the VC-55-PR.
Unfortunately, it's just a bit over $900 per board in small quantities.

Peter
K1PGV