To: "Clay W7CE" <w...@curtiss.net>
Cc: "David McKenzie" <k1...@vhfwiki.com>; "Reflector" <FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz>
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 11:58 AM
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] External transverter/amplifier control with the 1500

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Clay W7CE <w...@curtiss.net> wrote:
I looked at the 5000A manual for the pinout of the FlexWire port and there
are no unused pins. That means someone needs to design and build a FlexWire
adapter to provide PTT out for external devices. Based on the currently
available information, I'm not sure how I can use the 1500 with my
transverters without such an adapter.

Does FlexRadio plan to offer a FlexWire to PTT adapter or do I need to
design something myself?

Sometimes you just have to think of things from a different angle. The
solution is to use your external sequencer to generate a PTT signal
(dry contact closure to ground) for the F1500 through the mic
connector.  Use something else to generate the PTT signal.

While a sequencer is needed for more sophisticated amplifier/preamplifier applications, it isn't always needed. I'm just looking for simple PTT relay control, similar to the relay
output jacks on the 5000A.

Well, as I suggested, don't think in terms of the Flex being the
source of the key-down signal (PTT), think of it as being the
destination of it. Something else is going to generate that. With the
availability of really cheap microcontrollers, throwing something like
this together is generally a no-brainer. The F1500 is just a module in
a larger system.

--
73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL