To: <flexradio@flex-radio.biz>
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:56 PM
Subject: [Flexradio] Flex 1500 on 10 GHz weak signal

got a chance to try out my new Flex 1500 on 10 GHz last Saturday.

the N.E.W.S. Group was running MDS (Minimum Discernable Signal)
testing on 10 GHz. (you can read more details in August QST - Microwavelengths)

basically, a distant signal is reduced in 1 dB steps with each station recording the level where it is no longer audible. then it is moved in frequency a few KHz, and the
level increased in 1 dB steps with folks trying to find it again.

with the Flex, I lost the signal 2 or 3 dB before the best stations, but I found it again at the same level, using the waterfall display. the other stations, by ear, needed about 5 dB more signal to find it coming up out of the noise - a typical difference.
I could not hear any signal when it first appeared in the waterfall.

this should be great for portable operation.

I was running this on a Netbook, making a nice portable package. the only problem is that the PowerSDR display is bigger than the Netbook screen in the vertical
direction.  any way to make display size an option?

now for the two meter transverter for the microwave IF. I dug out my Miniverter (www.w1ghz.org/miniverter.zip) and am considering updating it to mate with the
Flex 1500.  any interest?

73
paul