In case you need a computer for an SDR:

About a month ago, Tim, N9PUZ, asked about a bare bones computer kit at Tiger Direct which used the subject mobo. Neal Campbell commented he had formerly used the mobo in one of the computers he sold and said it would work well with SDR.

A couple of weeks later I accidentally fried the motherboard in the computer that services my SDR-1000. At that time, Tiger Direct was no longer selling that combination, but had a similar combo with the same mobo at a higher price. I ordered one and now have it fully on-line with my SDR-1000.

It is working very well. The Performance Test passmark ratings show that it is 15% _faster_ than my Intel Quad Core 8200 that services my 5000a. Running WriteLog, MMTTY, and PowerSDR V1.18.6 with panafall, it is showing CPU utilization of only 1 - 3% with occasional bumps to 4.

The components were all in retail packaging and all went together well. It does not have an on-board Firewire port, but has headers for a serial and a parallel port if you can come up with a cable kit to use them.

I am re-using the dual-monitor video card from the earlier computer, which frees up some memory. I wound up with 3.25 GB of RAM under 32 bit XP Home. It is all Win7 compatible if I ever need to install it.

This is Tiger Direct item nr B69-0282 at:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7108906&CatId=3508

FYI - these "barebones" kits come unassembled, have no OS, keyboard, or mouse.

My thanks to Tim and Neal for alerting me to this package.

Jerry W4UK