Oh, I definitely agree with that!
The first one I bought was quiet, so I went and got another one, and BZZZZZT! all over the place. I haven't pulled the cover off (it's out of warranty now) yet, but I might just move the LED supply to the output with a suitable dropping resistor.
Jim

On 03/15/2011 08:34 PM, K9DUR wrote:
That is why I like the Alinco DM-330MV.  Why should you have to modify a
brand-new piece of equipment&  void the warranty in order to make it useable?
The Alinco's are clean out of the box.

73, Ray, K9DUR
http://l9dur.info

-----Original Message-----
From: flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz
[mailto:flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz] On Behalf Of Robert Lathrop
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:08 PM
To: FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Switching power supply recommendations for
Flex-3000

Hi All

I also have two Astron power supplies.  The SS-30M generated hash as Steve
reported.  I noticed the noise on the 10 and 6 meter bands. The noise is
generated by the method used to lite the meters. I removed the 3 or 4 turn
winding, cliped the diode and filter capacitor and the hash dissapeared.  I
powered the meter lamps in series through a resister from the 12 line.  The
lamp power supply is a half wave rectifer and the leads to the meters are
evidently a pretty good radiator.  Running for about a year and a half with
no problems.

Search for Astron SS-30 mods and you will find enough to fill a book.

Bob W5ROE