Hi Bill-- interesting problem. Not an expert here, but have used the VAC input a fair amount. When using the VAC input instead of the microphone, I've been told that many of the audio chain components are bypassed. VAC is intended primarily for digital modes or use by those expensive external audio processors. The digital modes don't do well with equalizers, companders and all that. I was told that the audio chain with VAC was pretty much limited to the TX Gain you mentioned and ALC to limit over modulation, nothing more-- don't know the accuracy of what I was told but it makes sense. So most of those steps in the referenced article have no effect.

A normal microphone audio chain for broadcast or ham gear will almost always have a compression (leveling) stage, because no one talks at the same level all the time, and mic distance follows the inverse square law as to volume and who can be that precise. VAC drops that I think, and counts on your external processing to handle whatever leveling, compression, equalization, etc that is needed.

This was real obvious when using VAC for remote audio that I do frequently.

Hope this helps-- I may be something else ....

Steve WA7DUH