VP Engineering
FlexRadio Systems™
4616 W Howard Ln Ste 1-150
Austin, TX 78728
Phone: 512-535-4713 x205
Email: st...@flexradio.com
Web: www.flexradio.com

*Tune In Excitement™*
PowerSDR™ is a trademark of FlexRadio Systems

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Greg <a...@cablespeed.com> wrote:

> Order is placed but I was thinking about some setup issues and
> wondering if anyone here has any details.
>
> 1.  I believe the audio in/out is processed over the network, correct?

The radio has mic and speaker connections.  When these are used, no audio
goes over the network.  This is what will be in the software when the radio
is first shipped.

> 2.  How much router setup is involved or is it done automatically?  Is
> the setup similar to the remoteRig process?

This is still TBD, but we have had many conversation about how to make this
very simple.  Simplicity is a key design goal for the radio and the
software.

> 3.  With all the IO on the radio, how is CW keying accomplished if I
> want to use a key at the control location?  Do I need something like a
> K1EL USB keyer that connects to the SDR software?

When the radio is first shipped, the key will need to be plugged into the
radio.  Remote will obviously have to be handled differently.

> 4.  How is TX audio handled at the control location?  Does it use the
> soundcard mic input and pass that over the network to the radio?

Same as #1.  Audio is kept inside the radio for the first release

> 5.  Is the a provision to work with VAC for CW Skimmer or do you think
> Skimmer will (eventually) talk directly to the 6700 as it does the
> QS1R to be able to decode multiple bands at a time?

We are working on the details of all of this as we speak.  More details as
they become available.  Rest assured, we recognize that digital modes are
extremely important for this radio.

> 6.  Software updates - Not too fond of this but I can understand it I
> guess.  BUT I am concerned that I may have to pay for updates to get
> basic advertised functions that are not implemented yet at the time of
> initial shipping...such as remote over the internet (not just the
> LAN).  IMO any subscription for updates should commence AFTER all the
> functionality is implemented and working correctly....THEN  you can
> pay for new features and updates.

We agree with this in principal.  This is one reason why those that sign up
for the limited edition will receive two years of software updates included
instead of just one.

> 7.  CAT compatability with loggers...is this going to use the same
> FLEX 5K protocol or something totally different where software authors
> are going to have to add another radio script?

CAT is too popular and important to ignore.  We are building a CAT
interface.  However, we would be delighted to see the community realize
that CAT is a kludge and needs to be replaced.  We will have our own
control language for the radio (spoken between the client and the radio).
 We would also be interested in other well considered standards that emerge
to take the place of CAT.