This is probably going to sound counter-intuitive on the surface, but I
would like to communicate this message:

You WANT us to charge for software updates.

Why?  When you purchase a radio, it is an investment.  It is in your best
interest for us to continue to create software innovations that will make
your radio more and more capable.  If we do this, your radio will stay
current with technology (within reason) with new software and it will
retain it's value and continue to be a source of enjoyment for years to
come.  We have shown that this is what we want to do as a company by doing
it -- we want to innovate and we want to provide you with the best
technology we can.  We love hearing our customers thank us for getting to
"download a new radio."  I can't begin to tell you all the ideas that we
have and how excited we are about delivering on those ideas.

Now if you figure that we can provide 'x' improvement over the years, but
with a small investment from most people in the community, there is a
multiplicative effect:  your dollars are multiplied by all others who also
buy and give you leverage in getting more advanced features that make your
radio more fun and help it retain value by staying current.  In effect, you
get '10x' or some multiplier on your investment of a software update.  Our
objective is for you to say "YES, I want that update because if has a lot
of new features and is well worth the $200 FlexRadio is charging."

If this is not the case, we know you won't buy.  There is another effect
here -- we know that we have to build what you want or we won't be able to
sell it.  By charging, it places more control in your hands, albeit
indirectly.

I believe that you want new, cool, useful, advanced features and I know
that we want to give them to you.  For us to be able to do more, quicker,
takes money to pay more engineers.  These engineers will, in turn, develop
those new features.

While it would be "better" if we developed and gave away software
indefinitely for free, it is not realistic.  I believe that you want us to
charge for software.

73,
Steve

Stephen Hicks, N5AC, AAR6AM
VP Engineering
FlexRadio Systems™
4616 W Howard Ln Ste 1-150
Austin, TX 78728
Phone: 512-535-4713 x205
Email: st...@flexradio.com
Web: www.flexradio.com

*Tune In Excitement™*
PowerSDR™ is a trademark of FlexRadio Systems