Many amps rely on that ALC connection to allow them to cut back on drive in the event of a malfunction such as an intermittent flaky antenna feedline. A momentarily open/shorted antenna could be very bad news for some amps under normal drive.

Some argue that you don't really need ALC. I suspect those guys never had an antenna disaster.

Good luck

Jerry W4UK