So John-- if a mismatch can't cause the receiver front end to oscillate, why when I completely disconnect antenna leads from the SO-239 connectors in the back of my Flex 5K, totally open connection, I get wild broadband oscillations and spurs across the spectrum on most bands averaging -95dbm, but if I hook up a dummy load, it all goes away instantly, and I get a nice flat baseline at abt -138dbm or so?

And why when I plug in a matched antenna, those wild oscillations and spurs go away, and I just have normal band noise and signals? A closer match doesn't increase the oscillations, it makes them go away. It's not power supply noise.