On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Richard Solomon <w1...@earthlink.net>wrote:

> I also have both (two RbO's and 4 GPSDO's). I'll take the GPSDO any day.

This is not a, "which one is better," question. It is a question of what is
the job you are trying to do.

It is useful to understand the differences. Certainly the long-term
stability of the GPSDO is better because the reference oscillator is always
being corrected back to the correct time, i.e. long term number of cycles.
But in the short term, variations in the GPS satellite geometry can cause
the GPSDO to exhibit short-term frequency errors. Of course, long-term
these are corrected back out but if one was comparing one would notice
small short-term variations in the frequency of the GPSDO while the RbO
showed more stability. So the question is, which is more important?

Of course, could could have a GPS-disciplined Rb reference. Now you get the
best of both worlds, i.e. dead-nuts accurate long term stability with
outstanding short-term stability.

And the other thing that many people seem to forget about is the phase
noise of the disciplined reference oscillator. That may have substantial
effect on the performance of the receiver over and above the frequency
accuracy.

So, when it comes to the question of, "which is better, an Rb reference
oscillator or a GPS disciplined oscillator," the answer is a resounding,
"it depends."

I still hold that, for most people looking to increase the frequency
stability and accuracy of their Flex 1500 or 5000, an Rb reference like the
LPRO-101 is simpler for the following reasons:

   1. No outside GPS antenna needed.
   2. The LPRO-101 runs on a single 19V supply (I use an old laptop power
   supply) while the Thunderbolt needs +5V, +12V, and -14V. I use a cheap
   laptop DC supply to run my LPRO-101 from the shack 12V supply.
   3. The output of the LPRO-101 may be fed to the external reference input
   with no attenuation.
   4. The LPRO-101 has relatively low phase noise.

Like I said, I have both but find the LPRO-101 Rb reference easier to use
and its accuracy still exceeds the tuning accuracy of the radio.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.