Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 8:52 AM
To: radio...@frontiernet.net
Cc: Flex Edge ; Flex Radio
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] [FlexEdge] FlexRadio 6700 at Visalia IDXC 2013

Dennis,

Key extract from my post:

Some things to keep in mind
this was alpha level software

AND it was 3+ weeks ago.  The world moves a lot in 3 weeks and so does
software development - if you haven't experienced the productivity and
development rate of modern software teams, a) your missing out on a great
experience and b) you don't have a frame of reference.

There was a MIC gain control and it was used to set the MIC level - but it
was externalized by the client (SmartSDR).

Unlike PowerSDR where all the UI and DSP software are combined in one
piece of software, SmartSDR is a THIN client - its basically a user
interface.

All the DSP functionality runs on a dedicated processor within the radio
itself.

So you have three key elements.
- Functionality (like Mic Gain) in the radio
- A connector to allow that to be driven over the Ethernet
- A control on the user interface to provide end user control

For Visalia, the piece that was "missing" was the connector.

It was a simple matter to add it but changing the spark plugs on the car
the night before the race is ill-advised.

Oh, BTW, the connector appeared the day after Convention.

Stu K6TU

On 5/7/13 5:48 AM, "radio...@frontiernet.net" <radio...@frontiernet.net>