I don't have or use the RCU.  I simply run my audio at 80 to 100 from my 1500
to my amplified speakers and use the volume control on them to control the
level of audio.  The setting depends on the band background noise.

My speakers have a headphone jack so I can also plug in my headphones when I
want.  No problems.

The AGC-T setting mitigates the difference in weak vs strong signals to a large
extent.  Experiment with it.  Lots of guys run AGC-T way too high, I think.
Bob, NZ5A

Sent from my iPhone