Hi,

On Wednesday, March 07, 2012 14:58:26 Lauri Peltonen wrote:
> > 3. define an XML format for describing the two possible rendering
> > pipelines (the current and new). The format will introduce optional
> > elements (such as shadows, ambient occlusion, glow).
> I want to point out my work on my "newcameras" branch:
> https://gitorious.org/~zan/fg/zans-flightgear/commits/newcameras which
> allows user to define the rendering pipeline in preferences.xml. It
> does not (yet?) have everything Rembrandt's pipeline needs, but most
> likely is easily enhanced to support those things.
>
> Basically this version adds support for multiple camera passes,
> texture targets, texture formats, passing textures from one pass to
> another etc, while preserving the standard rendering line if user
> wants that.
>
> I wish this work could be extended (or maybe even I can extend it ;)
> to handle the Rembrandt camera system. This will not solve all
> problems in the merge, but some of them.

I was not aware of your work. But given what you write here, this looks pretty
promising. Fred mentioned your name in an offline mail.

IMO the complexity of this kind of rendering method in terms of requirements
to the driver makes me frighten a bit when I think that we have currently no
fallback to the old style renderer. Even back to the fixed function pure oldest
style stuff which is still the fastest thing we have.
Keep in mind that plenty of people will likely trade speed/deterministic frame
rates for any eye candy. And beyond that all people that cannot see anything
with rembrandt but a black window will love to have something that at least
shows the old style stuff (may be just fixed function?).

So, wherever we end, I would highly apprechiate that we do not lock out low
end graphics boards by not having any fallback.

May you both should combine forces?
>From what I read, I think both are heading in the same global direction and
both implementations have some benefits over the other?

Hmm, I should really look into the code ...

Greetings

Mathias