On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 12:33 AM, Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> Thorsten R. and I have been discussing off-list how we can bring the
> global and local weather systems closer together.  While they have
> very different implementations, it should be possible to unify at
> least part of the UI and configuration models to provide a more
> consistent end-user experience.
>
> The aim is to have a single high level weather dialog that is used to
> configure both global and local weather, with implementation-specific
> dialogs accessible for tweaking particular settings.  Hopefully 90% of
> users will only need this high level dialog, while the 10% wanting to
> configure specific cloud layers etc. can still do so.

This work has now been committed.

There are three  areas that still require some work:

1) Local Weather has its own wind definitions for scenarios
that aren't METAR-based, so you still need to use the Advanced
Settings menu to set your wind appropriately.  I will probably just
add these to environment.xml for the moment, unless I can think
of a better solution.

2) Previously, under METAR mode it was possible to set turbulence
on a per-layer basis.  This now requires changing to Manual Configuration.
I hope to write some heuristics into the Basic Weather code to work
out sensible turbulence settings automatically to mitigate this.  For
example, on a thermic day, there should be turbulence below the Cu
level.

3) There's still some work to do to match scenarios defined in
environment.xml with local weather cloud tiles.

Feedback is welcome as always.

-Stuart