Jim Wilson wrote:
 > Andy Ross writes:
 > > 3. Reading information that the FDM hasn't set shouldn't cause a crash.
 >
 > Same with reverse?...seems like the problem with JSBsim and using
 > threads has to do with shared memory, one thread reading before or
 > while the other writes.

Eeep, no.  Not what I meant. :)

I was talking high level: If component XXX isn't prepared to exporting
feature YYY, the simulator should still work, and not crash.  This can
be done in both C++ and properties, but with properties you get it for
free; no chance of human error.

What you describe is called a race condition, and that's a bug.
Always was, always will be.  Sometimes it's an unavoidable (or very
hard to avoid) bug, in which case you say Just Don't Do That and mark
your code as non-threadable.

Which brings up a really good point: is the property library
threadsafe?  I'm guessing not, which means we need to write up a spec
for how to do mutex access, or else punt and say you can only use it
from the main() thread.  Probably not a big deal.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA