David Megginson wrote:

> The current aircraft config-file approach is a major improvement over
> what we had before, since the user can use a single option,
> --aircraft, to get the right aero, panel, sounds, etc.  However, it is
> not easy for the user to provide aircraft-specific overrides.  For
> example, c172-set.xml has

<snip>

> Let's say that I want to use a different C172 panel by default.  If I
> simply add
>
>   -prop:/sim/panel/path=Aircraft/c172/Panels/c172r-panel.xml

First of all, I doubt if many *users* would want to change the panel,
etc of already exsisting aircraft. This is probably just for (aircraft)
developers of FlightGear.

> There are a couple of possible approaches.  The first one is to have
> the --aircraft option load properties from a user directory after it
> loads from the base package, so that
>
>   --aircraft=c172
>
> will first try to load $FG_ROOT/Aircraft/c172-set.xml, then will try
> to load something like $HOME/.fgfsd/Aircraft/c172-set.xml for local
> overrides (it might actually use a $FG_PATH variable to search any
> arbitrary number of directories).  This is the most flexible approach,
> but will take a bit of work.
>
> A simpler but more ungainly alternative is to use aliases in the
> aircraft config files, so that we have something like this:

<snip>

> and so on.  Then, in .fgfsrc, the user can specify
>
>   --prop:/sim/aircraft/c172/panel/path=Aircraft/c172/Panels/c172r-panel.xml

I prefer not to use the property manager at startup because it makes
thinks (at least look) complex. Maybe a better way would be to add an
override filename to the switches, e.g.:

fgfs --aircraft=c172,~/c172-panel

or something similar.

Erik