Heres a test;

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=europe&X=505000&Y=160000&scale=100000&width=700&height=410&gride=&gridn=

You want to land at Fairoaks. There are three airfields in shot,
which one is it?

A?
http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=europe&scale=25000&X=506500&Y=162500&width=700&height=410&gride=0&gridn=0

B?
http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=europe&scale=25000&X=507000&Y=157500&width=700&height=410&gride=0&gridn=0

C?
http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=europe&scale=10000&X=500592&Y=161941&width=700&height=410&gride=0&gridn=0

Note that the first two are DISUSED, but could look tempting,
especially as A has aircraft clearly visible on it (even though
the runway is the wrong orientation.

BTW, C is Fairoaks, A is Brooklands, former aircraft factory and
racetrack[1] and B is Wisley, satellite factory of Brooklands in
the later war years and into the 70's[2].

IIRC there's actually a VOR or DME at Wisley. There are also two
pairs of Arnco barriers across it as well!

Not far away is Dunsfold[3], also disused:
http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=europe&X=503000&Y=136000&scale=25000&width=700&height=410&gride=&gridn=

Disused airfields are fairly common in the UK, can I suggest the
ability to handle these is something add to the 'to do' list?

==========================================================================================================================

Anyway, the main reason for this EMail is to introduce myself:

Rick Ansell

I'm an Operational Analyst with the UK MOD. This means I'm
conversant with non-realtime, highly aggregated, models of
various aspects of military ops.

Unfortunately my first programming language is Fortran 77, with
knowledge of perl and a little VB and Pascal.

I work here:
http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=europe&scale=5000&X=484316&Y=153921&width=700&height=410&gride=0&gridn=0

- just up to the right from the aircraft (that's the 'Nightbird'
Buccaneer BTW).

so this is my home airfield[4]:
http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=europe&scale=25000&X=485711&Y=153763&width=700&height=410&gride=0&gridn=0

and I'm a member of:
http://www.fasta.freeserve.co.uk/

What I hope to do in the future is locate a means of accessing
those Royal Aircraft Establishment reports that are available to
the public. My time is short (this is a secondary hobby, my
primary one is canal restoration) so don't hold your breath,
but... :>

I am also thinking of producing FG models of Farnborough and its
aircraft throughout its history. This would be of use to both
the FG team and FAST. Again, don't hold your breath.

http://www.fasta.freeserve.co.uk/heap.jpg
(FG: We can rebuild it!)

In the shorter term I hope to do many things:

a) Get the latest version of FG running on one of my machines

b) Produce a few GPLd building models

c) Do some more ground textures

c) Write some 'think piece' papers. I may not be an ace
programmer but I understand the process. Watch for a paper on
'Expanding the visual model' soon.

d) Put an 'appeal for assistance' into the FASTA newsletter. I
think FG is the sort of project to appeal to many ex-RAE
members.

e) Do the best I legitimately can to turn to FGs advantage my
access to RAF air publications.

BTW my home is 'in shot in A, here I am;
http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=europe&scale=5000&X=504326&Y=161428&width=700&height=410&gride=0&gridn=0
The white spot in the limier gap in the trees is Narrowboat
Invincible, afloat on the Basingstoke Canal :)

I'll shut up now and go and do something _useful_ :)

Rick

[1] Brooklands was the site of the first 'hop' by a British
citizen in a British machine by A V Roe (of Avro fame) in June
1908. Then a racetrack it became one of the earliest UK
aerodromes, an aircraft factory and finally a museum.

[2] This is where postwar aircraft such as the 'Valiant' were
assembled and tested.

[3] Postwar base of Hawker aircraft, home of the Hunter and
Harrier, closed within the last decade.

[4] Farnborough, location of the first sustained powered flight
in the UK, by Samuel F Cody (at the time a US citizen, but
working for the UK military) in 'Army Aeroplane No 1' on 16
October 1908. It was also the location of the first headquarters
of the Royal Flying Corps in 1912. The hangers and HQ building
from this era still survive. Later it hosed the Royal Aircraft
Factory, then the Royal Aircraft Establishment as it became
Britains foremost aviation research establishment. It is also
the home of a Biannual aerospace exhibition and air display,
generally regarded, along with Paris, as the foremost aerospace
trade show in the world.
--

David Farrent and Dougie O'Hara on the Cold War
role of the ROC: 'What a world of sorrow is hidden