On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:02:40 -0800 (PST), Alex Perry
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I'm not terribly familiar with the airport database code, but I can't
>> believe these would be difficult to support.  Just make up a few new
>> runway textures with big yellow X's on them.  The hard part will be
>> finding the data for the ancient runway locations.  Anyone?
>
>The NOS charting service has the data; we could always ask them what they
>would charge us for a dump of that (and similar) databases for our use.

For the UK at least, Multimap has overhead photos and Ordinance
Survey 1:50,000 mapping for airfields that you know are there.
Since the runways etc. are usually all marked accurately on the
OS map. Straight measurement (plus a UK National Grid to
Lat/Long conversion) should do it accurately enough for a 'first
cut'.

For example, here is the deactivated USAF base at RAF Alconbury

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=europe&;
X=522500&Y=277500&scale=50000&width=700&height=400
&gride=&gridn=&coordsys=gb&db=&overviewmap=
&scale=50000&multimap.x=251&multimap.y=271

Its worth checking the photo though: the OS missed a length of
taxiway.

Interestingly the main runway 'X' is placed in the centre, not
at the thresholds. The taxiways have an 'X' at each end however.

Rick
--

David Farrent and Dougie O'Hara on the Cold War
role of the ROC: 'What a world of sorrow is hidden