> We should also investigate why FlightGear is
> reporting one elevation
> initially and then amending it to something else
> later ... there's
> something not quite right there either.  That
> investigation isn't
> going to happen though before 0.7.9.

This, it seems to me, is the root cause of the
problem.
However, it looks like the fgFDMForceAltitude function
does not update the runway altitude.  If it did,  it
would likely make the immediate problem go away but
also have the effect of covering up what's really
wrong.

As for whose responsible for what, I can only say that
I wasn't trying to push anything off on anyone this
morning.  I was out of time and needed to get to work,
so I just posted the info I had, figuring that if you
or David had the time and/or inclination to fix it you
could. If not, I'd just wait and see what I could do
about it myself.