Hi,

first I want to say that there's nothing personal in this 'case'. And I
don't care too much if it's my code or David's code (or both) that
'survive' at the end.

I've written WeatherCM in an attempt to learn the ++ of  the C++ and
thus it did it's job for me.

But what puzzels me is the 'style' in which David added his code. There
must be a reason why my code isn't good enough for David (my it be lack
of functionality, lack of documetaion, compiler errors, something
totally different, none of that, all of that, what ever - the reason
doesn't matter).
So I'd expect that anybody who's got a 'problem' with some other code
ask about it first before going through all the trouble to reimplement
it.
I can't remember such a mail (perhaps it's been in another thread; due
to a very sad event I didn't have time this week)

Perhaps we should focus on the technical issues:

Looking at the environment code it looks quite similar to mine. That's
no surprise as it's doing the same task.

Apart from the class interface (FGEnvironment == FGPhysicalProperty),
accessing the stored data is also very similar:

> The rest of FlightGear won't have
> to know about that -- all it has to know is how to get an environment
> object:
>
>  const FGEnvironment * env = globals.get_env_mgr()->getEnv(lat, lon, alt);

FGPhysicalProperty wdbpos = WeatherDatabase->get(position);

(where position[0] = lat, position[1] = lon, position[2] = alt)

And the weather values at the current position are alredy visible
through the property system:

  /environment/weather/wind-north-mps
  /environment/weather/wind-east-mps
  /environment/weather/wind-up-mps
  /environment/weather/temperature-K
  /environment/weather/air-pressure-Pa
  /environment/weather/vapor-pressure-Pa
  /environment/weather/air-density

gives you everything you need at the current position of the plane.

Through the basepackage/current.txt.gz it's possible to have worldwide
current weather settings.

As I didn't recieve a message about the limitations that the WeatherCM
does have, I don't know the reason for creating a new one. The
limitations I know about are quite easy to fix in a very short period of
time (anybody who want's to help: here is a opportunity to get a lot of
functionality with very little work):

- there's no intuitive way to set the weather
-> write a new FGWeatherParse that reads a intuitive file
   format (e.g. XML)
-> Write a PUI menu that allows you to change the weather data
   during the running program

- the FDMs don't react to the weather
-> Modify them to read the properties that are already there
(NB: that's *easy* and the most noticeable change)

- the WeatherCM is too complex
-> It's not. Any weather system that tries to have worldwide
   coverage with the ability to interpolate between the
   stations will have that complexity.

Conclusion:
It doesn't matter if it's FGEnvironment or WeatherCM or both in the end.
The GPL will allow us to have the best solution.
But as the project is run on our free time we should try to be as
efficient as possible. So we should try to work together. If it's not
possible to work together (eg. because someone wants to try a totally
different approach -> YASim vs. JSBsim) it's OK to 'split'.

In my humble opinion FGFS would profit much more if David (who's a great
coder!) would try to fix the remaining limitations of WeatherCM than to
try to invent the wheel the 2nd time.

CU,
Christian

--
The idea is to die young as late as possible.        -- Ashley Montague

Whoever that is/was; (c) by Douglas Adams would have been better...