On Mon, 2002-03-04 at 09:37, Andy Ross wrote:
> Curtis L. Olson wrote:
>  > Andy Ross writes:
>  > > No problems there.  YASim now reports this number in
>  > > /gear/gears[n]/compression-norm (should be an OK choice, according
>  > > to our rapidly evolving property conventions).  The remaining
>  > > problems are only bookkeeping.  We need to make exactly certain that
>  > > the FDM and the model agree on the placement of the gear and their
>  > > direction of compression.
>  >
>  > This is one where actual distance of compression in meters, cm,
>  > inches, or whatever would be very useful.  Otherwise it seems like it
>  > would be impossible to get the animated gear to sit perfectly on the
>  > runway.
>
> Meters wouldn't be enough.  You'd need to know the compression
> direction as well.  Even then, many aircraft have a more complicated
> gear compression behavior (spring steel splays outwards, shocks
> telescope, etc.).  The 3D modeler pretty much has to know the whole
> compression range when they do the model.  If they just accept a number
> from the FDM, things will look wrong even if the gear are on the
> ground.
>
> Really, we can't get around the bookkeeping problem here.  Allowing
> the modeler the ability to exactly represent the FDM state is easy,
> and the compression-norm number is sufficient.  But actually getting
> it right is a lot of work and tedium, and there's not much the
> interface can do to help.

This exact same problem occurs with high lift devices ... the FDM's
don't need to represent the exact path that they follow or the exact
rotation angles, they just need a reasonable characterization of them.

> Andy
>
> --
> Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
> Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]              http://www.nextbus.com
> "Men go crazy in conflagrations.  They only get better one by one."
>   - Sting (misquoted)

Tony Peden
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
We all know Linux is great ... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
-- attributed to Linus Torvalds