Alex Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> > Gadds. I don't know...even with an almost completely idle cpu occaisonally I
> > seem to have these weird performance discrepencies.  It isn't heat, so who
> > knows.  Maybe its something weird about the kernel.  Later without changing
> > anything it looked much better, aproximately a 10% improvement over previous.
> > Sorry about the confusion.
> >

> Have you got a variable speed processor, like a notebook kind ?
> If you don't compile support for the feature into the processor,
> the system will run with whatever the BIOS thought you should use.
> On one of my machines, there is a 5/6 ratio, aka 16% performance loss.

Well its a PIII 750 desktop.  It isn't trying to save power.  Suppose it could
be heat related...but I don't really know if this system steps down speed or
just halts when the heat hits threshold.  It does seem like it is happening
after doing a full rebuild, which is 100% load for 15 minutes or more.
Hehe...maybe it's just tired.  I'm not too concerned about it.  Just have to
be careful about what I report on the list here :-)

Best,

Jim