FYI

I run RH 7.3, plib cvs, simgear cvs, fgfs cvs and base cvs, and use NVidia
drivers and don't experience any of these problems.  I suspect that your
solutions are not entirely necessary, maybe when you upgraded you might have
forgot that the XFree devel rpm probably sticks in a new libGL which was
previously renamed by installing the NV rpms.

The documentation says that it's only necessary to install the NV GL includes
if you want to use to quote '  NVIDIA OpenGL extensions'.  I'm not sure that
flight gear uses them.

Later,

Chris