I intend to be constructive by preventing you from switching compiler
too rapidly ;-)

What I have done was :
- download PLIB, SimGear, fgfsbase and FlightGear by CVS at the same time,
- install GLUT from the Mandrake distribution,
- compile PLIB by autogen.sh, configure and make,
- install PLIB as root by make install,
- install MetaKit from the tar in SimGear (src-libs) by
  cd build; ../unix/configure --without-tcl; make and make install as root
- zlib is already in the distribution,
- build SimGear by autogen.sh, configure and make,
- install SimGear as root by make install,
- build FlightGear by autogen.sh, configure and make,
- Wait a looooonnnng time,
- enjoy

One simple question : does the file simgear/misc/props.hxx in SimGear
contains the word 'SGPropertyNode_ptr' ?

Cheers,

-Fred
Maintainer of the FlightGear Scenery Designer project
http://fgsd.sf.net