Jim Wilson writes:

 > Thanks.  I'm doing some major re-work with it now...basicly after
 > figuring out how to get around some of ac3d limitations.  AC3D
 > works well for this stuff, but it's texturing options are limited
 > (but in the end sufficient).  Blender is looking more attractive
 > but every time I open it up I just get overwhelmed.  It's got a lot
 > more in it than we need for modeling aircraft.  AC3D is easy to
 > learn and it isn't bad once you figure out how to get around it's
 > limitations and bugs.

Yes, AC3D's lack of useful texturing support pushed me to Blender.
Blender is a scary brute, but it took me only a couple of hours
playing with online tutorials (start with the castle) before I could
make my first DC-3 model.  Now the program seems natural and intuitive
to me, though I limit myself to mesh work.

You can import your current 747 into Blender with only a little loss,
then start fine-tuning the textures with the UV editor.  You'll need
Willian Germano's AC3D import/export scripts.

 > In any case it'd be awful nice to have a gpl'd modler.  Right now
 > we've got a choice between two closed source binaries.  One from a
 > guy that may or may not ever get around to fixing the bugs, let
 > alone improve it.  And another from a larger company that is now as
 > good as gone.

In addition to PPE (ppe.sourceforge.net), there's K3D
(k3d.sourceforge.net) and Innovation3D (innovation3d.sourceforge.net).
I played with innovation 3D a bit, and while it's OK, it's no
Blender.  For now, I'm willing to take my chances with a non-free,
unsupported app, as long as I can export into formats that other tools
support.  Innovation3D is in Debian, so just type

  apt-get install innovation3d

to try it out (assuming you use Debian).  Here's a page with a list of
3D modellers and thumbnail reviews:

  http://www.worldforge.org/dev/eng/3d_compare_html

All the best,

David