Tony Peden writes:

 > > This claims a <64K object size in Linux:
 > >
 > >   http://tinyscheme.sourceforge.net/home.html

In fact, it turns out to be <64K stripped *executable* size for the
standalone interpreter; the object/library is even smaller.

 > Please, don't.

I hear your pain.

 > Incorporating this will, I think, almost instantly turn off new
 > developers (and at least one current one).  It's not possible to
 > pick a language that will make everyone happy, but we should at
 > least pick one that doesn't present the syntactic hurdles that the
 > likes of Lisp and Scheme do.

I agree that Scheme will turn a lot of people off, but I'm annoyed
that we cannot find a core ECMAScript implementation the same size
(even then, the core source code for this is over 200K).

There are *lots* of scheme implementations:

  http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Lisp/Scheme/Implementations/

There are very few ECMAScript/JavaScript implementations, and at least
two of those require a Java Runtime Environment:

  http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/JavaScript/Runtime_Environments/

If someone can supply a core ECMAScript implementation that is small
and easy to embed, then we should jump on it; otherwise, the evil of
holding back FlightGear development indefinitely might outweigh even
the evil of using Scheme.

All the best,

David

--