David Megginson writes:

 > Even a sub-$200 non-aviation hand-held mounted on the yoke could be
 > a useful part of a VFR or IFR scan.

Speaking of el-cheapo GPS receivers, I just found some Perl scripts
that allow me to flash a new database into my very low-end Magellan
GPS 315, so I went ahead and dumped in all the Canadian airports,
VORs, NDBs, and waypoints from the DAFIF -- I can even get a list of
nearest airports with distance and magnetic bearings (I've already
found some good prospects I'd overlooked for short cross-countries).

If anyone else on the list (a) flies, (b) owns a Magellan GPS 315 or
320, and (c) uses Linux, drop me a line and I'll send the details
by private mail.

All the best,

David

--