Curtis L. Olson writes

> Norman Vine writes:
> >
> > > Curtis L. Olson writes:
> > >
> > >  > What I'm looking for is somethingn to the effect that a VASI light
bar
> > >  > is a row of "n" lights spaced "x" meters apart.  VASI light bars
are
> > >  > spaced "y" meters apart along the length of the runway.
> > >  >
> > >  > And if I'm really lucky I'd get the difference in degrees in
alignment
> > >  > between the two/three light bars.  I.e. bottom bar turns red at 3
> > >  > degrees, top bar turns red at 3.25 degrees (or something like
that.)

> > > These should all be governed by federal standards, and those standards
> > > should be online somewhere.
> >
> > maybe this would help
> > http://www.faa.gov/aim/Chap2/aim0201.html#2-1-1
>
> That gives a good overview of how the VASI works from a pilot's
> perspective, but it still doesn't show exactly how the vasi bars are
> positioned relative the threshold, the runway edge and each other.
> And it doesn't show details of the bar itself.  I assume a VASI bar is
> a row of individual lights, but how many?  How far apart are the
> individual lights in the bar placed?

I am not sure that there is a 'regulation' that states this exactly
my reading of the above link indicates that things vary on an airport
by airport basis in that local conditions vary and it is the overall
'effect' of the lights and the 'pathway' they mark that is regulated

My reading of this australian document seems to confirm this
http://www.casa.gov.au/download/CAAPs/drome/89t_1.PDF

here is a link for aeronautical survey related documents
http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/AERO/aerospecs.htm#FAA405
< these are the surveys that must be made in order to get FAA
   approval for an airport >

there are photographs of several different 'conforming types'
linked at the bottom of this page

HTH

Norman