On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 02:43  pm, Curtis L. Olson wrote:

SimGear/FlightGear configure used to automatically add /usr/local/lib
to the library search path.  That was removed because apparently it
causes gcc-3.2 to gripe?  Someone needs to explain the gcc-3.2 problem
so that we can get this resolved in a way that works for everyone
<SNIP>

Same /usr/local/lib issue ... apparently we don't include
/usr/local/lib in order to appease the gcc-3.2 gods, but then it never
get's included at all ... why does gcc-3.2 detest having to look in
/usr/local ???
The problem is that /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib are in the default *system* search path, so
#include <simgear/foo.h> works. When you manually add /usr/local/include to the search path using -I, you're adding it as a *user* path, with a totally different order in the search.

Apparently, this can cause very obscure breakage (don't ask me to provide an example). As a result, GCC 3.2 prints out a *huge* warning for every single source file it processes, which is very, very annoying. Hence, the correct solution is only to add /usr/local/include (or lib) on systems where it is not already in the search path. Which, it sounds like, includes cywgin.

Hope this is of some help.
H&H
James