On Friday, February 7, 2003, at 03:57  am, Norman Vine wrote:

John A. Gallas
I was just wondering if the subroutine
SGRoute.distance_off_route() calculates accurate
results (or even reasonably usable results for
navigation in fgfs) for waypoints on a wgs84 system.
I've run some tests and it seems okay, but I'm no
expert - can someone verify this?
This is a *much* better approximation
http://williams.best.vwh.net/avform.htm#XTE
Just to add, in my local tree I've got an FGRouteBase which (I hope) supersedes the SGRoute stuff totally. I spent ages trying to come up with a better 'distance off route' calculation (trigonometry not being my strong point), clearly I should just have asked here. Whatever I do is going to have to be compatible with SGRoute (but I don't think inheritance from it is going to work, since my routes aren't 'flat', as they can incorporate chunks of other routes, i.e airways and procedures), but let me know if you'd like to see the code (it's alpha-quality and incomplete but loads a route from XML fine, and basic traversal is working too. Adding the distance and course and distance-off-route computations could be done tonight if it would be of interest).

H&H
James

--
Whenever a friend succeeds, a little something in me dies.