Major A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Also, has anyone actually managed to fly a 747 from Europe to the US
> or the other way round? I just tried that, and first of all, I found
> it hard to get to a decent altitude (the autopilot keeps stalling it)
> at a decent speed -- or is 300kt IAS at 30000ft normal for a 747? This
> is at 90% throttle, I don't think it would go higher than that in
> real-life flight.

The 747 should climb to 40,000ft anyway.  At least it does here.  If you
maintain adequate throttle then you shouldn't stall.  Once you get down near
stall speed, it might be difficult to come out of it permanently without
turning off the autopilot momentarily and giving up some altitude.  Either
that or level off and wait a while.  If you watch the speed and keep it up
there you should be fine.  Note that as you get above FL300 it will drop below
200kts during climb,  but if it gets close to 190, increase the throttle.

300kt IAS cruise is fine for that 30,000ft altitude.  In any case the IAS will
drop dramatically as you climb into thinner air at altitude.  Cruise at
35,000ft is probably about 280kt IAS.  FL300 is normal, but the 747-400
usually goes a little higher.  BTW, a formula for estimating KTAS is "TAS =
IAS + (IAS * fl * .002)" where fl is flight level,  e.g. fl = 350 = FL350 =
35,000 ft.  IIRC cruise KTAS for the 747-400 should be around 500kts.

The 747 is configured for 50% on the tanks,  so you'll have to up that for
five hour flights.  Look in the Aircraft-yasim directory.  Note that you'll
have to burn some off in order to make altitude if you fill the tanks 100%.

Best,

Jim