On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 09:19 pm, Frederic Bouvier wrote:

The highest point of the bay area is in CVS :

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/frbouvi/flightsim/fgfs-sutro-sf.png

I appreciate this is a dangerous precedent to set, nominating requests, but : the buildings that *really* stand out are not the big skyscrapers, but the 'edge' buildings and bridges. Notably the Coit tower (though it's hill isn't very noticeable with our current DEM data), the Ferry Building at the end of market, and Candlestick park.

On flying the actual approach, though, the most visible objects by a long, long way are the bridges. The approach I've always flow into SFO has been down over Marin / Napa, coming quite close to pacific coast, then turning inland (with the golden gate bridge visible to starboard), then turning south-east once almost central over the bay, (parallel to the 28L/R runways) flying over the oakland bridge (bay?) bridge and down as far as the dunbarton bridge. Once past this there's a long U-turn onto final, which brings you back over the dunbarton bridge at what feels like quite a low altitude (still 2000 feet, I suppose).

So in general, you don't have a sense of individual buildings, but more the pattern of green and built-up areas, but lots of water (which we do pretty well) and the bridges.

That said, if the auto-gen could use some hinting data to place rings of bigger buildings towards 'centre points' of cities, we'd get the sense of city 'mass' much better. (Oakland would probably need one centre-of-density to look about right, SFO would need a couple, as would London)

H&H
James