David Megginson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Actual IMC affects different people in different ways -- some pilots
> absolutely hate it (the way people hate hornets or fingernails on a
> chalkboard), some don't mind it in small doses, some will fly a whole
> trip IMC as long as they have an autopilot, and some don't see any big
> deal in hand-flying IMC.  I'll see which category I fall into when I
> have more real (non-training) experience, but so far, I feel very
> comfortable in actual.

I spoke with Doug, my boss, about this for a few minutes today.  Although he
didn't really admit it, I'd say he might fall into the "small doses" category.
 Basically he started out by saying that he didn't feel that pilots that are
flying one trip a week should be in IMC.  He felt that to fly near minimums
you needed to be flying on a daily basis, even though you can maintain
certification without doing anything like that.

Basically he looks for high ceilings (2500ft or higher) that are easy to break
through.  Apparently when he first got his rating he flew in IMC quite often,
and then got a bad weather report that resulted in unexpected icing conditions
and a rather frightening flight.  So part of it is he no longer trusts the
reports.  He has some meterological background anyway and apparently he's
dealt with this by taking the reports, looking at the numbers and patterns and
making his own judgements.

It is interesting hearing different takes on this.  My feeling is that when I
get my license it'll be imperitive to get the instrument rating...especially
the way the weather in Maine is.  But even as a passenger in the right hand
seat I can see I'm more comfortable seeing the ground...or even with clouds
below than actually being right in it.

Best,

Jim