On Friday 01 August 2003 16:44, Major A wrote:

> > Take the dc3 up to 5000' and cut engines whilst cruising.  Without
> > paying any attention to maintaining altitude, make some shallow turns
> > and try to glide around for a while then try and land the plane once you
> > get the feel for it.
> >
> > I fail to do this.  I get an apparent stall, randomly, like one wing is
> > stalling before the other. I wiggle the rudder a little and wait for the
>
> Have you tried any JSBSim aircraft? I suspect that this is a problem
> to do with Yasim. In the P51D, 747, and especially the B52, I've seen
> this asymmetric stall many times during non-stabilized approaches, and
> they usually happen at decent airspeeds (say, 170kt). I haven't ever
> experienced anything like this in the A320 or F16 or C172.
>
> There's another issue I reported earlier, it's probably not a generic
> Yasim problem though. In the Cub, cut the engine and try to glide and
> then land. I find it impossible to maintain altitude in the last few
> 100ft AGL, I always crash into the ground in an uncontrolled way
> because the plane suddenly loses airspeed very rapidly.
>
> This might have to do with the effect that the prop starts turning in
> the wrong direction when you build up airspeed with the engine turned
> off (try starting FG with the plane at a few 1000ft AGL with 0kt
> airspeed, you'll see). I haven't seen this in other Yasim prop planes.
>
>   Andras

> Major Andras
>     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     www:    http://andras.webhop.org/

The stall speed figure I found for the B-52 was 169 kts :)

The varient and weight wasn't specified, and that's with no flaps of course
(as it currently stands, with a full fuel load, you can't go much faster than
about 160 kias with flaps and you can't go much slower than about 180-200
kias without them.  An awful lot depends on how much fuel you've got).

Are you flying with default weather conditions?  The wind settings are could
easily produce the asymmetry effects you're seeing, especially considering
you're taling about stall behaviour, which is at the flight limits.

Check the trottle settings too, to make sure that all eight engines are the
same - with some joystick combinations it's possible for throttle No. 2 to be
affected by the rudder control if you're modifying your joystick config using
the o/p from fgjs - it's possible for the default bindings not to be
copmpletely overridden - took me a little while to track that one down:)

LeeE