* Norman Vine -- Friday 08 August 2003 22:05:
> Melchior FRANZ writes:
> > Unix systems are typically multi-user systems, and typically not every
> > user has root access.
>
> Not much different then a NT/2K.XP box then in that respect :-)

I know, but I do still think of the W95 days (with disgust) when
there was some sort of login, but no permissions, and everything
dumped their data into C:\WINDOWS\. Meanwhile NT/2K.XP try to
imitate Unix as good as they can. They mostly fail, but some
things they learned.   ;-)

> Out of curiosity I wonder how many installations have more then
> one FlightGear user using a common Scenery data repository
> rather then the one in the 'local user' tree :-)

Good point. Hardly anyone. But it's a matter of principle and
style. And I, of course, =would= dump my personal changes into
my local tree and let the global tree unchanged. That's much
easier to maintain. I have my private building and objects in
the system wide scenery now. If I want to replace this scenery
by something newer & better, I'll have a hard time migrating all
my local additions.

m.