On Monday, August 25, 2003, at 02:44 pm, Erik Hofman wrote:

Not necessary, it is mainly the number of files that causes the slowdown. You can jump from one info block to another without actually reading any date in between them (there is a pointer in the current info block that points to the next). SO it's not that bad.

That's true. I don't suppose you'd like to code up an SGArchive class that does this, then? Obviously it won't be much use until PLIB is modified to support virtualizing disk operations, but i'd be curious to see how a 'base.tar.gz' performed at startup compared to the unpacked files...

Alas, I wasn't able to find any open-source projects that have already written a single-source-file, decode only tar impl ... which is annoying.

Oh, I just did some browsing of the SSG loaders .... they're full of fopen / fseek calls. Damn. Much work to be done there, I think.

James

--
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.